Why has the Department of Homeland Security has been on a big shopping in recent years? Is it turning against the American people?
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. George Washington
Is there something we should know about the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)?
Alarm bells started going off among some conservative radio talk show hosts as early as 18 March 2012, when the Department of Homeland Security awarded a contract on 12 March 2012 to purchase up to 450 million rounds of .40 caliber ammunition to ATK, for its Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office. These high performance HST bullets are designed for law enforcement and ATK says they offer “optimum penetration for terminal performance.” This refers to the bullet’s hollow-point tip that passes through barriers and expands for a bigger impact without the rest of the bullet getting warped out of shape, translate – maximum damage to human flesh. Though many believe that this type of ammunition was banned by the Geneva Convention for acceptable terms of warfare since 1969, that claim is entirely false.
Expanding bullets have never been outlawed by international law in any war or conflict that the U.S. has participated in. The issue of expanding bullets was briefly addressed at the International Peace Conference held at The Hague in the Netherlands in both 1889 and 1907. However, the U.S. never ratified the twelve-paragraph document (Declaration IV, 3) that dealt with expanding bullets. In fact, fewer than 25 countries actually signed that declaration, and that declaration has never been enforced since its ratification on July 29, 1899. www.lawofficer.com
Furthermore, the U.S. Department of the Armyjustified the use of expanded bullets by snipers in 1990. Moreover, this type of ammo is still legal and in use today. It is often used by hunters and law enforcement in situations where it is preferential to contain the round, such as targeting a threat within a crowd of people without wounding others nearby.
ATK describes itself as a supplier of aerospace and defense products. munitions, smart weapons, propulsion and composite structures and it is located in Anoka, Minnesota. Yet, in 2009, a purchase had already been awarded to Winchester Ammunition for a max of 200 million .40 caliber rounds. Why does the DHS need so much fire power? After all, the Justice Department under Eric Holder and Barack Obama have been rather accommodating to a vast number of illegal aliens/undocumented citizens, who enter from our open southern border with Mexico everyday.
Move forward to March 2013, the initial concerns from those who keep an eye on government activities, such as bloggers and private, independent news agencies has finally gripped the attention of some major players like Forbes and Business Insider. Yet, CNN and even more curiously Fox News, seem satisfied that it is all about target practice for agents of various federal departments – like the Social Security Administration and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration? Are you kidding me?! Now if they listed the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), I could understand. After all, these poor souls are going to have to shake the America people down for Obama’s socialized, substandard, one-size-fits-all, please don’t live too long or you better be worth it to us, health care plan. So Finally, within the last four months, a growing concern among many has given rise to question the intent of DHS or perhaps the Obama Administration, in respect to its stockpiling of:
- 2 billion rounds of ammunition in the next four or five years, for enforcement agents in training and on duty.
My own brother who spent 25 years as a Marine Corps drill sergeant told me long ago, that they didn’t even use this high quality expensive ammo for training. Granted, that was long before our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I have since that time spoken with younger ex Marines who have told me the same thing. If anyone has different information, please leave a comment.
- Bullet-proof booths for future DHS checkpoints manned by TSA VIPR (Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response) teams and other federal agents beyond the 9300(?) that were already set up. Would it really be such a stretch to imagine these checkpoints all across the United States? Why bullet-proof?
- 7 June 2012, DHS posted a bid for 7000 5.56x45mm “select-fire” assault weapons. Now here is an amusing note. When the government is the owner, these firearms are redefined as ‘Personal Defense Weapons’, now isn’t that special!
- An order for 700 lbs of plastic high explosives and 700 lbs. of high explosive grade ammonium nitrate flake for TSA. Ok, these items could be used to train dogs or calibrate detection equipment, but ATF and FBI field offices also maintain such supplies for these purposes, so they can’t share? To be fair, TSA is no longer limited to airport checkpoints. Its responsibilities now include our entire transportation infrastructure, such as trains, automobiles, bridges, tunnels, etc.
- $4.5 million dollar contract with weapons manufacturer Heckler & Koch to provide replacement parts for firearms at $900,000/yr for a period of five years. http:www.gather.comviewArticle.actionarticleId
- Detention Centers – Otherwise known as FEMA CAMPS, activated all over the country. Congress has passed H.R, 645 (111th): National Emergency Centers Establishment Act. Ok, lets not jump to conclusions as to why the urgency for such legislation or the purpose for so many centers/camps. Perhaps it is all about the next big hurricane, tsunami, earthquake, asteroid or sink hole. After all, you have to admit that some pretty weird things have been going on in the last few years. Any natural or supernatural event to justify preservation of ‘earth mother‘, “Gaia” right? Oh my this is beginning to sound like Agenda 21, oops. Just a thought! The last thing that I want to do is conclude that these centers are being constructed by our elected officials (certainly not all of them anyway) to enslave the American people. Yet, we must not be blind to the possibility either!
- Food Vendors – DHS is looking to purchase supplies such as emergency food, blankets, underwater body bags(?), and hydration supplies. DHS considers certain cities and states as “in need”. These include:
North and South Carolina
Gulf of Mexico area
So glad I live in Hawaii right now! By the way, maybe now is a good time to check in with the victims of Hurricane Sandy and see what they think of the way the government has helped them, especially after the election.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) procures and stores pre-packaged commercial meals to support readiness capability for immediate distribution to disaster survivors routinely. The purpose of this ‘Request for Information’ is to identify sources of supply for meals in support of disaster relief efforts based on a catastrophic disaster event within the New Madrid Fault System for a survivor population of 7M to be utilized for the sustainment of life during a 10-day period of operations. FEMA is considering the following specifications (14M meals per day) Courtesy of Susanne Posel Occupy Corporatism, April 10, 2012
- $2 million contract with a firing range target manufacturer, Minnesota-based Law Enforcement Training Inc., to produce shooting targets of armed pregnant women, children and elderly gun owners depicted in residential settings. Under criticism for designing such targets the company released this statement.
The subjects in NMH targets were chosen in order to give officers the experience of dealing with deadly force shooting scenarios with subjects that are not the norm during training. I found while speaking with officers and trainers in the law enforcement community that there is a hesitation on the part of cops when deadly force is required on subjects with atypical age, frailty or condition (one officer explaining that he enlarged photos of his own kids to use as targets so that he would not be caught off guard with such a drastically new experience while on duty. This hesitation time may be only seconds but that is not acceptable when officers are losing their lives in these same situations. The goal of NMH is to break that stereotype on the range, regardless of how slim the chances are of encountering a real life scenario that involves a child, pregnant woman, etc. If that initial hesitation time can be cut down due to range experience, the officer and community are better served.
In the past law enforcement purchased targets of pregnant women, children and the elderly as training in what not to shoot. However, under the Obama administration there appears to be a concern that police officers should be trained to expect these possibilities and react accordingly. Below are three of the targets in question.
These photos are chilling! Then again, remember when DHS purchased all that riot gear just before the Republican National Convention (RNC) in Tampa, Florida and the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina and finally for the Presidential Inauguration, just to be on the safe side? So much money to spend, so many crazy (white?) people to worry about.
All kidding aside, what makes it even more disturbing is that as of August, DHS began to classify its ammo purchases, so much for President Obama’s “transparent” administration. A DHS ammo bid posted for Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) on the FedBizOpps website, is loaded with blacked out sections.
Amidst the continuing controversy over the DHS’s purchase of large quantities of guns and ammunition, the federal agency is getting more secretive about its activity by censoring information about a no-bid contract with Remington for firearms parts.
Despite the fact that documents pertaining to government activity are only supposed to be redacted for national security reasons or if authorized by Congress, a new entry posted on the FedBizOpps website pertaining to the DHS’ plans for a $1.5 million contract with firearms manufacturer Remington contains numerous blacked-out sections.
The document is an explanation of why the DHS has entered into a contract on a basis “other than full and open competition,” in other words a no bid contract. http://www.sodahead.com
Last but certainly not least, expensive that is,
- 3.9 Billion for a new DHS Headquarters!
Yes, as reported on 12 April 2013, by Devin Leonard in Bloomberg Businessweek, construction will continue so that all 22 divisions of DHS can better coordinate at a single location to thwart terrorist attacks and safeguard the populace from natural and man made disasters. Ok, this sounds good, but one question, with all agencies in one location, isn’t this a double edged sword? Sure, it may be easier to get things done and yes, that is important, but one successful attack on such a compound could be devastating. After all, those of us who live in Honolulu think about Pearl Harbor, even though it was long before our time, enough said.
Now what does all this mean? Of course the conspiracy theories are out there, but lets face it, DHS and the Obama Administration have a record of being anything but open and honest with the American people. Consider the Department of Justice and the ‘Fast and Furious’ debacle that we still can’t get straight answers to. Then there is Benghazi and the ridiculous excuses that nothing could have been done to help Ambassador Stevens and three other people, a Secretary of State who didn’t get the memos and a President who was (where ?) for about seven hours? This disaster includes a cover up about a You Tube video and apologies throughout the Muslim world for what, Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression?! Yet, a statue of Jesus can be dipped in urine, a photo taken and it is called ‘Art’? How about the survivors of Benghazi still imprisoned/hospitalized at Walter Reed that members of Congress only recently found out about and have yet to interview? I mean how long does it take to reprogram someone’s inconvenient memory?! Of course I am only being sarcastic; However, I would not dismiss the possibility of such conduct from some actors in this drama, one that only a Hollywood script writer would envy.
Our President is much too modest, he should take some credit for these moments of his presidency that I am sure he wishes would just go away. For five years most of the mainstream media have let him get away with things that President Bush would have been hounded to death over. Instead they have elevated President Obama to the status of a super star. Enough!!
Perhaps Obama wants to keep all the details for the Presidential Library in Chicago or will it be Honolulu? After all, can Chicago offer seven acres of waterfront property with a magnificent view? Maybe Barack Obama will be the first president to have two libraries! Or maybe he knows something is coming that will change America in the most devastating way imaginable! Especially in this hard economic climate of extreme budget cuts and sequestration, this President must be held accountable right now!
I am interested in what you have to say, but only comments that are relevant to the article and I think would be interesting to other readers will be posted. Anything you wish to say that is personal in nature please visit my Facebook Page – Liberty Grace Humanity – or contact me at: